Unilever Global Media do The Daily Telegraph…
Let me introduce myself: my name is Arjun and I’m interning here for a few months. Funnily enough my background is in Music and Architecture but, having worked in the Digital Department at Universal Music, I have realised that New Media is the place to be!
So yesterday was my first day at Unilever, and I was pretty excited when I was informed that we would be doing a team field trip to the Daily Telegraph. I picked up on three main themes from our visit:
Living The Space
Just from walking around the building, it became clear that the Telegraph Media Group is definitely a 21st century company, with a pretty progressive stance when it comes to Digital (in fact it was named Digital Publisher of the Year last year). Above the throng of workers, the homepage of the Telegraph website is beamed on to a huge wall, alongside a live Twitter Feed with tweets firing in rapidly from all sectors of the news. They also have a state-of-the-art New Media Lab which is primarily focused on building world-class mobile applications (such as the Telegraph F1 App).
Agnostic Approach
It was also clear that there has been a tangible change in the company’s mentality: from being ‘print-focused’ to being ‘customer-focused’ - emphasizing the need to integrate the website and the paper. Its aim is now to provide the news in whatever format people want.
Speed
Another thing that was evident was the sheer speed and power of the company – pushing out 600 pieces of content daily. It is a pretty impressive operation!
Quote from Jay: “ ‘Stop the presses’ is now an extinct expression...”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Welcome Arjun.
The Telegraph story sounds interesting. For traditional newspaper companies the only way to stay in business long term is go digital. I read the newspapers on the net only and soon that may be the only way for most of us. Citizen journalism (as called here) is growing fast too like the rest of UGC. Great journalism/editorials/viewpoints will still be the key but could now come from more places.
I like your vivid description of the wall, feeds, webpage thronging above workers.
Wish you a good time at Unilever.
Thanx to Arjun for the vivid expressions thoroughly enjoyed.
Going digital is well understood by the newspapers and most of them has a digital version of it but the interesting perspective was the consumer understanding and the "News in a user friendly manner". Some of the local mobile based content developers in Bangladesh are working on push-pull sms based news services. And interestingly these are mobile content developer and not a media house! I will update once I have gathered some details on it.
good job arjun..fine old claret at house wine prices...
Post a Comment